Get A License!
Who needs a recreational fishing license or permit?
Whether you are a resident of Florida or just visiting, you are required to possess a Florida freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing license when engaged in fishing activities. Fishermen over the age of 16 are required to obtain a fishing license before fishing in freshwaters or saltwater unless you are fishing on a privately-owned pond.
• A license is required to attempt to take fish. If you cast a line or catch and release, you need a fishing license to take fish. If you cast a line or catch and release, you need a fishing license.
• A saltwater fishing license is required
to attempt to take any native or nonnative
marine organisms, such as crabs, lobsters,
and marine plants.
• Licenses and permits are required to
help or assist in the take. Someone who
is passively participating (baiting hooks),
whether actively fishing or or not, must have
a license and appropriate permits.
• Persons who are listed on the National
Saltwater Angler Registry are required to
have a Florida recreational fishing license
unless exempt as listed below.
• Need help choosing the right license
and permits? The rules and regulations for saltwater fishing are different from freshwater fishing. Learn more about the rules and regulations and obtain a license before you fish!